The Old Gray Goose on Roots & Walls
My trail name The Old Gray Goose started in 1992 when hiking The Appalachian Trail
I stumbled over roots and climbed a few walls as I journyed that long 2,000+ miles pathway I'd started in 1992 and then completed in 1993. I now only get to do much shorter hikes but I am still known as The Old Gray Goose.
Currently I am stumbling on the trail of roots of past generations, finding walls to be climbed that are hiding my ancestors.( wall names )
As I share my adventure and build this website step by step, I hope I will be able to get over the walls that I have come upon on this very long ,probably never-ending, path of research.
Just as I made many friends along the AT, I also have found new friends (and even a few relatives) as I have been searching for my family roots.
Without their "Trail Angel" help none of these journeys would have seen so many accomplishments. My thanks to those who have assisted me thru the years in my all of my adventures along all the trails I've been down.
A special thanks to Diana and Debbie for making possible my latest adventure, to build this online site.
Although some of the family name lines for myself and my husband have been well researched and documented, some have no verified facts. Some I have just run into a wall !
Aldrich. Gordon, Fisher, Giddings, Jacobs are some of the families in this name line.
Cutshall family in Crawford co. PA. Smith but started out as something else in Sweden, Fairbanks, Shaw, Brown are some of the names found here.
Morse Bunnell, Shreve, McKelvey, Smith in WV, Hyde are some of the names being researched for this line.
Until I have more at this site, please check outmore information here
My " Wall "Names
I haven't been able to connect my Caroline McKelvey to any family lines.
There are TWO McKelvey people, Caroline and John, who married into the Morse family. It is unknown if Caroline and John are from the same family or are even related.. These families were in Crawford county PA.
Here is what I have found so far
- #1 Caroline McKelvey b.Dec 15, 1812,--1880 census says b.PA, Mother b.Ger. Father b. Ire.-- m. June 13, 1855 to William V. Morse.
- Wm. V's first wife probably died from a Jan. childbirth in 1855 leaving him with 9 children, aged newborn to 15.
- Caroline and William V. had one child, my great-grandmother Emma Marie Morse...
- #2 John McKelvey b. --abt 1825? according to his decendant. But, 1860 census says aged 57 b. PA. He m.in 1860, the eldest dau. of William V. Morse, Margaret T. Morse, a half sister to Emma.
Margaret married #2 June 27, 1894 to Platt Rodgers.
In the Dunn cemetery in Crawford county PA. are buried
- CAROLINE, (wife of Wm. V. Morse)d. Jan 11, 1892
- JOHN, (spelled McKelvy), d. Apr. 11, 1880 72y. 3d. believe this was the husband of Margaret T. Morse.
- WILLIAM McKelvey d. 1837, ....
- Wife, ELIZABETH d. 1854
- dtr. (whos?) Elizabeth d 1822 7yr. 2m.
- dtr (whos?) Barbara d. 1859 15y. 10m.
I have found these in Crawford county Mead twp. PA census:
- 1800-Wm. McKelvey
- 1810-Wm. McElvy
- 1820-Wm. McCelvy
- 1830 no Wm
- 1830- [AIS] John in Crawford county, Fallowfield twp, PA
- 1840-- [AIS] John in Crawford county, Fallowfield twp, PA
- 1840, [AIS]John McKelvey Crawford co. Hayfield twp.
- 1840-[AIS]Andrew McKelvey Crawford co. Sadsbury twp.
- 1850 [AIS]-Andrew McKelvey Crawford co. Sadsbury twp.
- 1850 [AIS]Crawford co. Meadville borough Barbara McKelvy
- 1850 census I found Elizabeth, age 80 b. PA with John age 45 b. PA
Catherina 34 b. PA
Bar? (barbara ?)age33, Robert Mabon ?McKelvey age 11.
That find sure raises questions!!
- 1860 census has John age 57 b. PA and Margaret age 20 b. PA married within the year. [This would be Margaret T. Morse]
- also 1860, William B.--should be V.-- Morse age 44 b. NY Caroline age 47 b. PA [These are my g.g.grandparents]
- 1880 has Marget McCelvy (correct children listed for Margaret -Morse-McKelvey)
- also 1880 Wm. V. Morse and Caroline are in this census.
In searching thru old newspaper films I have found other McKelvey names.
NOTE- all the * men at one time worked for the Erie RR shops so I am thinking they are all one family...
- 1807Samuel M'Kelvey, court of Crawford co.
- May 27 1828 Miss Serue M'Kelvy to Mr. Charles Mason
- 1834 Jan 3,Fallowfield twp, Alexander McKelvy advertised a stray cow.
- June 1836, administrators notice for William McKelvy
- 1838- John McKelvey listed, Rep. party.
- May 1840 Mary McKelvy m. Robert Morehead-
- Feb. 1848 administrator's notice for Andrew McKelvey with Alex McKelvey as one of the administrators.
- 1859, Hayfield twp. age abt 45 y. d. by suicide Barbara McKelvey
- 1880 notice of death of John McKelvy aged 82y.3d. in Hayfield twp. news.
- 1881-John McKelvey age 73, d. in E. Fallowfield of old age.
- 1898 *William W. McKelvey (MD)eldest surviving son on Mr. & Mrs. John McKelvey, survived by bro. Practiced medicine in Pittsburg.
- 1900 *John McKelvey -went to the State Hosp. in Warren PA for treatment-age 66 d June 5 1900
- 1901 *Andrew S. McKelvey, son of Mrs. John McKelvey died in a Pittsburg PA hosp..
- 1904 John McKelvey E.Fallowfield twp. Crawford county PA d. at county infirmary
- 1935 Andrew W. McKelvey d. at City Hosp. (Meadville PA)
So many items, yet I am unable to get my McKelvey family line all together.
I am searching for the ancestors of Viola Adams, dau. of Downer and Caroline Adams.
I have posted all of the information I have found in Crawford co PA and Ashtabula co. OH for Downer's family group.
LUCY Adams b. abt 1882 to Downer and Caroline Adams.
- 1880 Census, Crawford county PA.
- Downer ADAMS Self M Male W 42 VT Farmer VT NH
- Caroline ADAMS Wife M Female W 34 NY Keeping House VT NY
- Frank L. ADAMS Son S Male W 15 PA Works On Farm VT NY
- Julius ADAMS Son S Male W 13 PA VT NY
- Viola ADAMS Dau S Female W 6 PA VT NY
Lucy m. Charles Ransom had no children and both of them are buried in E.Conneaut cem
- Julius B Adams children Leon, Robert & Gertrude, from his obit but no name for widow [just widow]. In the Birth records for Ash co. I found- Charley b. 14 Nov 1905 to Julius Adams and Jennie Dalrymple...
- Viola Adams m.Jesse Ulysses Grant Smith and their dau. Edith May Smith b: June 08, 1896 in Black Rock, Wisconson m: January 01, 1912 in Meadville to William Stanley Cutshall
- Frank Adams m Anna Kellison 1887---
- Death record 1867-1908 Ashtabula co. OH
- Frank Adams d.Pierpont, 23 Dec. 1893 Son of Donner and Caroline Adams
- Dormer S. Adams d. Monroe, 10 May 1895, b. VT
- In the Marriage records Ashtabula co. OH 1811-1900
- Mrs. Annie S. Adams m. Harley A. Germond 1895
- Laura ( dau of Frank L. Adams) was married first in 1912 to Miles E Remaley.
- son Birth cert.:1. Ernest Charles Remaley-son of Miles E and Laura (Adams) Remaley-b. 6 Oct 1913 [affidavids to correct spellings to REMALEY and MILES E.]
- she is still with Miles E. Remaley in the 1920 census--- haven't yet found Miles E. after that.
Don't know where she went after that.
- Laura R. (Adams) Remaly is found with George J. Cutshall as his #2 wife.
- Married in 1923 in Franklin, Vanango co. PA...
- by 1930 census Geo.J is divorced, age 58 & living in Erie, Erie co. PA
- 1927 Laura is found in the Conneaut OH city directory with John P. Ulrich
- they are also in the 1930 census with Ernest C. Remaley listed as his step-son..
- John P. Ulrich was killed March 1936 when his car hit a tree...
- death cert. says he was DIVORCED so, sometime after the 1930 census Laura was divorced from John P. Ulrich.
Conneaut city directory 1900/01
- Julius B Adams....426 Buffalo St...tinner
- Lucy Adams 437 Mill St
- Charles Ransom, Woodland Ave. E. Conn...laborer
- Lucy Adams..s.Ridge Rd
- Caroline wid. Doner Adams bds w/ Lucy Adams.
- Charles L Ramson bds with S.R. Ramsom
- Miles E and Laura Remaley 597 Broad St.
- Julius and Jennie Adams 279 Allen Ct. [off Madison st..]
- Caroline Adams 320 Bank St E. C.
- Charles and Lucy Ransom 320 Bank St
- Caroline still with Charles and Lucy Ransom on Bank St..
- Jno P. Ulrick & Laura R. 413 Lake Shore Ct
Ok, that information is from Downer forward. Now the big question, who were his parents and where did they come from?
With a name like Downer you would think he would be easy to track but that is not the case.
- 1850 census for Beaver Twp, Crawford co PA has
- Abel Adams 57 b. MA
- Lucy 45 b. VT
- Mary 20 b. CT
- Dawser 19 b. VT --
possibly my Downer though the 1880 census says F b.VT M b.NH
- Elga 10 b. PA --possibly Ezra?
- Ellen 6 b.PA
- Asa B Adams 65 farmer can't see if they are b.in Ct or Vt
- Lucy 50
- Thomas 32
- Downer 30
- 1870 census Beaver Twp. Crawford co. PA
- Dewine Adams 38 b.VT
- Caroline 29
- Frank L. 4
- Julius B. 2
To show your readers that you have taken the care to create an interoperable Web page, you may display this icon on any page that validates.
Very helpful learning sites.
Dave Kristula's interactive HTML tutorial
Eric A. Meyer interactive lessons